How can I keep my child's teeth healthy?
All children need to have healthy habits that promote oral health, including brushing with a fluoride toothpaste. The following are some tips to keep your child’s smile healthy:
- Have regular dental check-ups for early detection and prevention of dental disease.
- Drink tap water with fluoride to prevent tooth decay.
- Have dental sealants placed on the molar (back) teeth of children after ages 6-7 and 12-13.
- Have a healthy diet and limit sugar snacks and sweet drinks.
- Prevent tooth decay in early childhood by not putting your child to sleep with a bottle.
- Brush your child’s teeth twice a day with a small amount of fluoride toothpaste.
- Avoid foods and candies that are sour or have acid including Lucas or chamoy. These foods and candies can remove the tooth enamel (outer layer of the tooth).
For more information on maintaining oral health, you and your child can watch the video below: